Saturday, July 13, 2013

"Overnight Oats" from a Crock-pot

First time trying "Overnight Oats" using a Crock-pot. My experiment recipe is as follows.

  • 1.5 cups Rolled Oats 
  • 1 cup Almond Milk 
  • 1tsp Cinnamon 
  • 1tsp Vanilla Extract 
  • 3-4 cups Water 
  • 1/2 cup Brown Sugar 
  • 1/2 cup Cinnamon Applesauce 
  • 1/4 cup Slivered Almonds 
  • Pinch of salt
  • Heaping handful of Raisins 


At about 1am I woke up to a good "early" morning with a wonderful smell
of the oats cooking. With a wondering mind I got up to check on it. An it's 
a good thing I did because what was supposed to take 7-9 hours on low heat 
only took 3 hours!!! If I would have used steel cut oats it most likely would 
have taken that long but I only had rolled oats. So I guess it takes 3! After
transferring the oats over to a container I gave it a little taste an it was DELICIOUS !! 
I can't wait to add a little cold almond milk to it tomorrow morning and have it for 
breakfast!! My only thing is, you might need to add a bit more brown sugar which 
you can happily add at any time without stressing over measurements. As well as 
reduce the amount of applesauce to 1/4 a cup instead of 1/2 or use a regular plain 
applesauce instead of a flavored like I did. Also you can add any kind of nuts or dried
 fruit an you can add flax seeds, chia seeds, protein powder, etc. I can't wait to experiment 
with this recipe further and see what really works best!!!! Stay tuned!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment